Fresh summer zucchini tossed with various flavorful herbs and roasted in the oven.
This simple oil-free roasted zucchini recipe makes the perfect healthy side dish. It’s easy, delicious, vegan, and gluten-free.
Simple Whole Food Ingredients
These roasted zucchini are entirely oil-free, unlike most baked zucchini recipes that use a lot of oil. They are easy to make, healthy, and taste amazing!
All you need is zucchini and some herbs. It’s that simple!
- zucchini – I used medium-sized zucchini, make sure they are fresh and firm
- dried herbs – you will need garlic, onion, celery, dill, and salt
For the full ingredients list, measurements, and instructions, please find the recipe card below.
Why is this roasted zucchini recipe healthy
First of all, it’s the lack of oil. Yes! These are roasted zucchini baked in the oven, made entirely oil-free. They smell and taste fabulous.
This meal will not only keep your weight in check but also will protect your heart and brain from the damaging toxic effect of heated oil. The consumption of heated vegetable oils is detrimental to human health and is linked to cardiovascular diseases and cancer.
Zucchini is a nutrient-dense food. It contains no fat, has high water content, and is a great source of fiber. It is a powerhouse of anti-inflammatory and antioxidant phytonutrients like vitamins B6, C, folate. As long as you don’t fry it, it’s healthy.
Dried herbs like celery, dill, garlic, and onion increase the antioxidant level of this meal, making it even healthier. They prevent cell damage and fight inflammation.
This Roasted Zucchini in Oven Recipe is
- vegan (plant-based)
- whole food
- loaded with fiber
- made with simple ingredients
- quick and easy to make
- excellent flavor
- perfect side dish, snack, or appetizer
How to Serve
These roasted zucchini are so inviting and full of flavor. You can enjoy them as a healthy snack, appetizer, or side dish. Here are several serving ideas:
- Dip them in your favorite dip, such as hummus, or our tasty 10-minute bean dip, or this healthy sunflower seeds dip.
- Drizzle them with a creamy sauce, like ketchup, or this quick universal cashew sauce, or creamy garlic sauce.
- Serve them as a side to different vegan meatballs, falafel, nuggets, and burgers.
- Make them part of a healthy buddha bowl with your favorite cooked grains, potatoes, greens, fresh veggies, and sauces.
- Pair them with cooked quinoa, brown rice, millet, or buckwheat.
- You can also add them to a salad or sprinkle them with this delicious vegan parmesan.
How to Store
These roasted zucchini can be eaten warm or cold. They are equally delicious. However, you can store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
More Healthy Zucchini Recipes
- Easy Creamy Zucchini Dip
- Zucchini and Spinach Bean Casserole
- Creamy Zucchini Soup
- Healthy Zucchini and Walnut Dip
- Red Lentils Peanut Butter Casserole
- Easy No Oil Baked Zucchini Sticks
If you try this Roasted Zucchini in Oven recipe, please leave a comment and recipe rating below. As I would love to see your recreations, don’t forget to tag me on your Instagram or Facebook post with @wellnessdove and #wellnessdove.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Cut the zucchini into ½-inch thick slices.
- In a small bowl combine the spices (dried garlic, onion, celery, dill, and salt). Mix them well.
- After that, put the sliced zucchini in a large bowl, spread the spice mixture on top of the zucchini. Toss well until evenly coated.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (mine measures 32 x 22 cm (13" x 9"). Spread the herbed zucchini on the baking sheet into a single layer.
- Bake for 20 mins. Sprinkle with homemade Vegan Parmesan and enjoy warm!
- Try to cut all the zucchini slices the same size so they roast evenly.
- I don't peel the zucchini so they stay more tender. However, if you prefer to peel them you can reduce the baking time to 10-15 mins. Be careful not to overbake them or they will become soft and mushy.