These vegan lentil bread rolls are protein-packed, deeply satisfying, and nutritious.
Made with just 4 whole food ingredients, they are tasty, fluffy, nutritious, and most importantly, simple! They provide an excellent gluten-free substitute for conventional bread rolls.
Whether you’re in search of a gluten-free option or seeking to elevate your bread experience, lentil bread rolls are a delicious and worthwhile addition to your menu. They pair wonderfully with soups for a wholesome and filling meal.
They’re not only vegan (dairy-free, egg-free), but also gluten-free, soy-free, nut-free, oil-free, and refined sugar-free.
- Dietary – vegan, whole food, oil-free, gluten-free, nut-free, yeast-free, grain-free
- Quick & easy to make
- Flourless bread rolls
- Yeast-free bread
- Just 4 simple ingredients
- Tasty and fluffy
- Wholesome & filling
- A great alternative to standard bread rolls
These protein-rich vegan lentil bread rolls are flourless and made with only 4 simple ingredients.
Here’s everything you’ll need:
- red lentils – I prefer to use red lentils for their quick soaking time and the nice light color they give to the bread rolls. You can also use other varieties, just make sure you soak them overnight.
- whole psyllium husk – use whole psyllium husk and not psyllium powder. It acts as a binder in this recipe and gives elasticity to the gluten-free dough. Also, it’s basically soluble fiber and may improve your gut health.
- baking powder – works as a leavening agent and helps to provide lift to these no-yeast bread rolls.
- apple cider vinegar – an acidic ingredient that reacts with the baking powder and helps the rising of the bread
For the full ingredients list, measurements, and instructions, please find the recipe card below.
How to Make Vegan Lentil Bread Rolls
Step 1: Soak the lentils – Soak the lentils for at least 2 hours or overnight in a large bowl with plenty of water. Then, rinse and drain them well.
Step 2: Blend all ingredients together – Place all ingredients in a food processor. Blend for several minutes until everything is well mixed and sticks together.
Step 3: Shape the bread rolls – Gently press the dough between your hands and shape it into a log. Then, divide it into four equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball and transfer it to a parchment paper-lined baking pan. Sprinkle some seeds on top of each roll. (While the dough is soft to the touch, it should keep its form and stick together).
Step 4: Bake – Bake the bread rolls at 350°F (180°C) for about 30 mins and let them cool for a while before slicing.
- Enhance the bread rolls’ flavor – Add herbs and spices like rosemary, thyme, garlic, or cumin to the dough. Experiment with different combinations to find the flavors that complement lentils best.
- Use whole psyllium husk – Acts as a binder in this recipe and gives elasticity to the gluten-free dough. That’s why it cannot be substituted with any other ingredient.
- Storage – Keep any leftover bread rolls in an airtight container, and they will stay fresh for up to 2 days. You can also freeze them for later.
How to Store
Let cool completely before storing.
Room temperature: These lentil bread rolls are best to enjoy on the day they are made. Store leftovers at room temperature tightly covered for 2 days.
Fridge: Or, let cool, then store in an airtight container in the fridge for longer, up to 3-4 days.
Freezer: Place the lentil bread rolls in a freezer-safe container and store them for up to 3 months. Let thaw at room temperature.
Reheat: Reheat the lentil bread rolls in a preheated oven set to 350°F (180°C) for about 10 minutes. Alternatively, use a toaster oven.
How to Serve
- You can make delicious sandwiches with these lentil bread rolls. Just slice them in half and top with your favorite toppings, like hummus, avocado slices, and greens.
- They pair wonderfully with soups for a wholesome and filling meal, like this Creamy Mushroom Soup, Butternut Squash Bean Soup, or this scrumptious Cauliflower Soup.
- Make yourself delicious loaded burgers, like this Sweet Potato Quinoa Burger, or this Veggie Burger with Zucchini.
- Enjoy them with a dip – like this homemade guacamole, easy & creamy zucchini dip, or this 10-minute bean dip.
More Delicious Bread Recipes
If you try these Quick Vegan Lentil Bread Rolls, please let me know! Leave a comment and ★★★★★ recipe rating below. I would love to see your remakes and hear what you think.
- Soak the lentils for at least 2 hours or overnight in a large bowl with plenty of water. Then, rinse and drain them well.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor. Blend for several minutes until everything is well mixed and sticks together.
- Gently press the dough between your hands and shape it into a log. Then, divide it into four equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball and transfer it to a parchment paper-lined baking pan. Sprinkle some seeds on top of each roll. (While the dough is soft to the touch, it should keep its form and stick together).
- Bake for about 30 mins and let them cool for a while before slicing. Enjoy!
- Use whole psyllium husk and not psyllium powder. It acts as a binder in this recipe. I don't recommend substituting it for any other ingredient.
- The recipe makes four regular bread rolls, but feel free to adjust the size to your preference, making them larger or smaller as you like.
- You can enhance the bread rolls' flavor by adding various herbs and spices, such as onion powder, cumin, savory, oregano, rosemary, and more.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 Roll
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 242Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 5mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 9gSugar: 0gProtein: 16g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.