This is one healthy gluten-free vegan bread that simply tastes amazing. It’s made only with 4 simple whole-food ingredients and is packed with protein and fiber.
It’s made only with whole lentils, making it grain-free and gluten-free. The recipe is also vegan, contains no oil, no flour, no eggs or dairy.
- Dietary – vegan (no eggs or dairy), whole food, oil-free, sugar-free, flourless and yeast-free.
- This lentil bread is gluten-free and grain-free.
- Nutritional features – high in protein and fiber, low in fat
- Easy to make, whipped up in minutes
- Only 4 simple pantry ingredients
- Freezes well
- Delicious and filling
Simple Whole Food Ingredients
This lentil bread recipe is made with clean plant-based whole food ingredients. It is healthy, easy to make and so delicious. Here is what you’ll need:
- red lentils – I used red lentils, soaked overnight, then rinsed and drained well
- psyllium husk – it’s basically soluble fiber and is very important for this recipe. You cannot substitute it for any other ingredient. It helps the gluten-free lentil bread to bind and rise. In this recipe I used whole psyllium husk.
- baking soda – a baking ingredient, works as a rising agent
- apple cider vinegar – reacts with the baking soda and helps the rising of the bread
- salt– I used Himalayan salt to enhance the flavor of the lentil bread
For the full ingredients list, measurements, and instructions, please find the recipe card below.
This Vegan Lentil Bread is:
- plant-based (vegan)
- whole food
- packed with protein
- loaded with fiber
- highly nutritious
- made with 4 ingredients
- smells amazing
- delicious and filling
Simple yet so healthy!
I love making whole food vegan recipes because every ingredient I add is packed with nutrition.
Most breads have added sugar, oil, and all kinds of processed flour that add a lot of calories but little in terms of nutrition. In this case, however, it’s just nutritious red lentils together with baking soda, apple cider vinegar and psyllium husk.
Red lentils, like all whole legumes, are rich in healthy plant protein, satiating complex carbohydrates, and a lot of fiber. They are known to boost the immune system, fight degenerative diseases, lower cholesterol, and stabilize blood sugar levels.
In the last decade, numerous studies have shown that fiber alone is one of the most important nutrients for the human body. Psyllium husk aren’t simply instrumental to the incredible texture of this bread but are also pure fiber.
Lastly, apple cider vinegar and baking soda have an alkalizing effect on the body (while bread with yeast has a slightly acidic effect). Eating alkalizing food is especially important in today’s modern world since most environmental pollutants and toxins we are exposed to daily are acidic in nature.
All-in-all, this might be simple, 4 ingredient bread recipe but it actually improves your health while being so incredibly tasty! Enjoy it.
How to Serve
This vegan lentil bread is high in fiber and dense in texture. It is quite satiating on its own. Here are some of our favorite savory serving suggestions.
- make a sandwich – with a vegetable spread on top. The last time I made it, we enjoyed it with this fresh vegetable dip, or you can try it with our favorite creamy zucchini spread.
- Enjoy it with a vegetable soup or stew like this Cauliflower Soup, Curried Sweet Potato Parsnip Soup, Creamy Carrot Soup or Butternut Squash Bean Soup
- make avocado toast with fresh tomatoes on top, combine healthy fats and protein
How to Store
Let cool completely before storing. Store at room temperature tightly covered for 2 days.
Fridge: Let cool, then store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Freezer: This vegan lentil bread is absolutely freezer-friendly. You can freeze the whole loaf or freeze it in slices in a freezer bag or container for up to 3 months. Let thaw at room temperature, then toast the bread before serving.
More Vegan Baking Recipes
- Easy No Knead Einkorn Bread
- Vegan Seed Bread | Gluten-free
- Delicious Berry Bundt Cake
- Banana Oatmeal Cookies
- Easy Vegan Apple Pie
- Whole Wheat Cinnamon Cookies
If you try this Vegan Lentil Bread, please let me know! Leave a comment and ★★★★★ recipe rating below. I would love to see your remakes and hear what you think.
Vegan Lentil Bread (gluten-free)
- Soak the lentils for at least 2 hours or overnight in a large bowl with plenty of water. Then, rinse and drain them well.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a baking pan with parchment paper. Mine loaf pan is wider on top and measures about 20 x 9 cm/8" x 3.5" at the bottom and 23 x 12 cm/9" x 5" on the top.
- Place all ingredients for the lentil bread in a food processor. Blend for several minutes until everything is well mixed and sticks together. You may need to scrape down the sides from time to time.
- Put the bread dough in a large bowl. Slightly press it between your hands until a well combined dough is formed. You can dip your hands in water if it is too sticky.
- After that, shape the dough into a loaf and place it in the baking pan. Sprinkle some sesame seeds on top.
- Bake for about 45 mins. Let the bread cool slightly before slicing it. Enjoy!
- ½ cup (35 g) whole psyllium husk equals about ¼ cup psyllium husk powder. I recommend you to use a kitchen scale for best resutls.
- Psyllium husk is basically soluble fiber and is very important for this recipe. You cannot substitute it for any other ingredient. It binds the gluten-free lentil bread and holds it together.
- The total time doesn't include soaking time.