A quick and easy 4-ingredient gluten-free flatbread that you can cook in under 30 mins. It’s easy to customize with different herbs and spices and can be enjoyed as an appetizer or snack. The recipe is vegan & oil-free.
It’s made with chickpea flour making it gluten-free and a great source of plant protein and fiber. It is one of the easiest, most delicious, and nutritious flatbread you’ve ever had.
- Dietary – whole food, vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, grain-free, nut-free, soy-free
- Nutritional features – high in protein and fiber, low in fat
- Quick and easy
- Yeast-free bread
- Only 4 simple ingredients
- Healthy & nutritious
- Easy to customize
- Any time of the day recipe
- Great for a snack or an appetizer
- Holds together perfectly making it an excellent lunch box or travel food.
Whole Food Ingredients
This easy chickpea flatbread, also called socca is made basically by whisking together chickpea flour, water, and different herbs and spices. Here are the 4 ingredients you’ll need:
- chickpea flour – it is the main ingredient in this recipe, it’s also called garbanzo bean flour
- green onions – I used chopped green onions for extra flavor. You can also add thinly chopped shallots or onion to it.
- cumin – optional but adds flavor, you can change up the herbs and spices for variation
- garlic powder – also optional, you can add your favorite herbs and spices like thyme, rosemary, red pepper, black pepper, basil, etc.
For the full ingredients list, measurements, and instructions, please find the recipe card below.
Is This Easy Chickpea Flatbread Good for You
No doubt this chickpea flatbread is a healthy option when it comes to bread.
First of all, it is made with chickpea flour which is basically ground chickpeas. They are a great source of healthy plant protein, fiber, iron, and other essential minerals.
Chickpea flour is naturally gluten-free, which makes it a great option for people who are sensitive to gluten, have celiac disease or just avoid it for other reasons.
Not to mention this chickpea onion bread is free of added oil to keep you healthy and trim. It has a nutty, beany taste with a delightful aroma.
This chickpea onion flatbread is quite versatile. It can be used in a variety of dishes, from pizzas and wraps to salads and dips, making it a versatile and nutritious ingredient in a healthy vegan diet.
This Easy Chickpea Flatbread is:
- whole food
- rich in protein and fiber
- quick and easy to make
- only 4 ingredients
- easy to customize
- nutritious and healthy
How to Serve
This simple chickpea flatbread with onions is pretty delicious on its own. You can slice it and enjoy it plain or topped with various ingredients. Here are a few of our favorite ideas:
- On its own – it can also be enjoyed on its own as a healthy and filling snack or breakfast option.
- As a pizza crust – top it with tomato sauce, pesto, vegan cheese, olives and your favorite toppings for a healthy and gluten-free pizza.
- With a dip – serve it with a side of Hummus, this 10-minute Bean Dip, baba ganoush, or this Creamy Zucchini Dip for a healthy and satisfying snack.
- Load some delicious Homemade Guacamole or Zucchini and Walnut Dip on a slice.
- In salads – add slices of flatbread to bowls and salads, like this rich Avocado Quinoa Salad or Chickpea Mediterranean Salad.
- Stews and soups – serve it as a side with this Creamy Coconut Lentil Curry, Cauliflower Soup, Easy Red Lentil Stew.
How to Store
This chickpea flatbread with onions can be enjoyed warm or cold.
Room temperature: It can be stored on the counter in an airtight container for up to a day.
Fridge: Keep in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. Reheat on the skillet or in the oven.
More Easy Bread Recipes
If you try this Chickpea Flatbread with Onions, please let me know! Leave a comment and ★★★★★ recipe rating below. I would love to see your remakes and hear what you think.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a round baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chickpea flour, salt, cumin, garlic powder, and water. Whisk until smooth.
- After that, add the chopped onions to the bowl and stir.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan (mine measures 20 cm/8 inch).
- Sprinkle some red pepper flakes on top and bake for about 20 mins until slightly brown.
- Let it cool for a few minutes, slice and enjoy!
- Chickpea flour can also be called garbanzo bean flour.
- You can add your favorite herbs and spices like thyme, rosemary, red pepper, black pepper, basil, etc.
- Instead of green onions, you can add chopped onion or shallots.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 64Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.