A beautiful salad that is super fresh and truly nutritious.
Made with only pure, whole natural plant foods with no added oil or sugars.
The pesto dressing is easy to make as well as quite satiating.
You can make a large batch of the pesto not only for the salad but other fresh or baked vegetables as a dip or topping. Or pasta, for that matter.
You can choose to make this salad as a side dish or maybe use it as a main one…
The pesto is quite satiating but since it’s made with whole walnuts, it will actually help you lose weight.
Health and Weight-loss promoting
It is a salad!
Not only that but a salad with dressing from whole plant foods!
That means no oil and sugar in the dressing that could have added a lot of calories (and pounds) to your meal.
The vegetables are rich in all kinds of micronutrients that will keep hunger at bay and promote health and healing.
The walnuts are a whole plant food source of healthy fats that reduce inflammation and protect the brain. Rich in iron and magnesium as well.
The raw garlic and onions are an antioxidant powerhouse, helping you detoxify and fight oxidative stress.
For the pesto
- ¾ cup raw walnuts
- 2 handfuls fresh basil
- ½ tomato
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic
- pinch of salt
For the salad
- 1 or 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- ½ cucumber, sliced
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 leaves romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 handful of raw walnuts, chopped
- several twists freshly ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- For the pesto, put all ingredients in a blender or a food processor until finely chopped and well combined.
- Layer the sliced tomatoes, cucumber and lettuce in a large dish,
season with black pepper and salt. Sprinkle chopped red onion and
walnuts over the salad.
- Serve with the basil pesto.