This healthy Chickpea Mediterranean Salad is easy to make and full of flavor for a quick side dish or a light meal. It is packed with protein, fiber, and colorful veggies. The recipe is vegan, whole food, GF, oil-free, and nut-free.
Whole Food Ingredients
This delicious Chickpea Mediterranean Salad is bright and healthy, made with simple whole food ingredients. It contains no oil or sugar. You’ll need just a few minutes of prep time and only 9 ingredients. Here they are:
- chickpeas – canned chickpeas work fine, just drain and rinse them well before use. If you prefer to cook your own, it is also fine. I do it whenever I can.
- tomato – you’ll need one large tomato, diced
- cucumber – one is enough, diced
- olives – deseeded and chopped
- corn – I used canned sweet corn
- green onion – I used 3, thinly sliced. Red or white onion work as well.
- fresh dill – adds great flavor and freshness
- lemon juice – freshly squeezed is best
- flax seed – a great source of healthy omega-3 fats. Always use freshly ground flax seeds so they can be digested and absorbed.
For the full ingredients list, measurements, and instructions, please find the recipe card below.
Truly Healthy Salad
This Chickpea Mediterranean Salad is loaded up with all these amazing flavors and textures. It is made with health in mind.
The recipe is whole food, vegan, GF, oil-free, and nut free.
Thanks to the nutritious chickpeas in this recipe you will feel satiated and full. Chickpeas are a powerhouse of nutrients, rich in protein and fiber, they keep you full for longer and help keep a healthy weight.
This chickpea salad is easy to customize with whatever you have on hand. All fresh veggies included are full of antioxidants that fight inflammation and support your health.
Instead of oil, this salad contains the whole ingredient – olives. By eating olives whole you get all the fiber, healthy fats and vitamin E in a healthy form, not some extracted oil that has tons of empty calories and zero nutritional value.
Ground flax seed is also there for those healthy Omega-3 fatty acids, that nourish your brain and tissues.
This Chickpea Mediterranean Salad is
- vegan (plant-based)
- whole food
- packed with protein
- loaded up with amazing flavors
- easy to customize to your preferences
- a perfect summer meal!
How to Serve
- This Chickpea Mediterranean Salad is filling and satiating as a main dish but it can also be served as a side salad with Sweet Potato Quinoa Patties.
- It is perfect for warm summer evenings or picnics in the park.
- This simple Chickpea Mediterranean Salad is a great option for BBQ’s or brought to an outdoor party and enjoyed as a side dish.
- Serve alongside your favorite burger or veggie dog.
- You can also enjoy it like this or mash it up a bit and serve in a wrap or sandwich.
How to Store
This Chickpea Mediterranean Salad is best enjoyed fresh.
You can store leftovers in a sealed container for a couple of days in the fridge.
Make ahead: You can cook the chickpeas (if made from dry) in advance and store them in an air-tight container in the fridge, ready to combine with the remaining ingredients.
More Healthy Salad Recipes
- Easy Avocado Pasta Salad
- Fresh Cucumber Carrot Salad
- Alfalfa Sprouts Salad
- Broccoli and Tofu Green Salad
- Nutritious Vitamin Salad
- Oil-free Vegan Salad Dressing
If you try this Chickpea Mediterranean Salad, please leave a comment and a ★★★★★ recipe rating below. If you take a photo and share it on Instagram, please tag me with @wellnessdove and use #wellnessdove as I would love to see your remakes!
- 1⅓ cup (200 g) cooked chickpeas
- ½ cup (80 g) canned sweet corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 (180 g) cucumber, diced
- 1 (340 g) large tomato, diced
- ½ cup (50 g) olives, chopped
- 3 thinly sliced green onions or ⅓ cup
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- ½ lemon (2 tbsp), juiced
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- ½ tsp Himalayan salt
- Start by dicing the cucumber and tomato. Chop the olives in circles, and also chop the green onions and dill.
- Then, add all salad ingredients to a large bowl. Season with freshly squeezed lemon juice, ground flax seeds, and salt.
- Toss to combine. Enjoy!
- You can use canned chickpeas or you can cook chickpeas from dry. If you use canned, drain and rinse them. If you use dry, you will need about ⅔ cup (120 g) dry chickpeas for this recipe. Soak them overnight. Put them in a pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook for about 40 minutes or until soft.