Ground walnuts and dates mixed with the wonderful scent of cinnamon and vanilla in the crust and on top of that steamed pumpkin and more cinnamon! Delicious and bright!
A healthy pumpkin pie for any occasion!
The perfect holiday recipe that is plant-based with only whole food ingredients. 100% vegan!
Homemade colorful pumpkin pie recipe that is so healthy and delicious, without any harmful substances.
An amazing color combination between brown crust, orange filling, and white topping! Enjoy!
A pie that makes you lean
It might sound like an oxymoron but this is one tasty pie that will help you stay healthy and lose weight!
That means that is it not calorically dense but also that it is full of fiber and micronutrients.
And it is the natural fiber and micronutrients that make us feel full and satiated. In natural foods, the fiber is bound to the “calories”, meaning that our blood will not be flooded with fats and carbs.
That said, I used steamed pumpkin as a main ingredient. It is super tasty, sweet but not very calorie dense. Also super-rich in nutrition.
For sweetness, I chose dates. They have loads of fiber and are rich in magnesium, manganese, selenium, potassium, and copper. Great for bone health and maintaining the potassium-sodium (salt) balance in the body.
Calcium, vitamin E, selenium, zinc are found in walnuts. As well as your daily dose of essential Omega-3 fats that reduce inflammation and building healthy cell membranes.
And a tablespoon of cinnamon for better taste and to stabilize the blood sugars that bit better.
How to prepare this vegan Pumpkin Pie?
It just could not be easier.
The most important part is the pumpkin preparation. I used butternut squash. Just chop it into several pieces and steam it until it becomes tender. The time needed depends on the size of the pieces.
You can also boil the pumpkin or roast it but as the water-based cooking techniques, such as steaming and boiling, are the healthiest ones and I stick to them.
I usually steam the pumpkin in advance so that the pie is ready in no time.
To prepare the crust, just place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until a sticky dough forms.
|Tip: I prefer to soak the dates in warm water for about 10 mins. Thus they become softer and easier to chop. Also, the mixture becomes smoother as the walnuts and dates are better combined.|
Then spread the dough to the bottom of an 8 x 4-inch pan, lined with parchment paper. Press it well to the bottom of the pan into one layer, about half-inch thick.
For the pumpkin filling, put all ingredients in the food processor and blend for several minutes. The coconut flour will soak the water from the pumpkin and you will have the perfect thick texture. Spread the pumpkin mixture on top of the crust and smooth the surface.
Sprinkle some ground nuts on top. I used ground cashews but you can use whatever nuts you have at home.
What are the benefits of eating pumpkin?
- It is rich in beta carotene, which is important for the proper functioning of your immune system and your eyesight.
- It is a powerhouse of various vitamins and minerals, such as potassium, copper, vitamin A, C, and E.
- Pumpkin is highly nutritious and at the same time low in calories, as it has high water content.
- It is rich in antioxidants that keep your cells from harmful substances and reduce cancer risk.
- Promotes weight loss.
For the decoration part, you can use your imagination.
This time I used some raw ground cashews on top as I wanted a bit of a crunchy feeling. The soft texture of the pumpkin filling combines perfectly with roughly ground nuts on top. You can use walnuts, pecans or other nuts.
I also aimed for the color combination of brown crust, orange filling, and white topping. For more contrast, you can sprinkle some chia seeds over the cashews as their dark color pops out so wonderfully.
Want more healthy plant-based recipes?
If you liked this Easy and Healthy Vegan Pumpkin Pie, here are more of our plant-based recipes that are great for you and your family:
- Nutritious Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Pasta
- Healthy Bean & Leek Casserole
- Easy & Healthy Bulgur and Spinach Recipe
- Carrot & Curry Cream Soup| Vegan
- Quick & Easy Coconut Delight Balls
If you give this Pumpkin Pie a try, I’d love a comment and recipe rating below. You can snap a picture and don’t forget to tag me in your Instagram or Facebook post with @wellnessdove and #wellnessdove, I would love to see your remakes!
For the crust
For the filling
- Place the ingredients for the pumpkin pie crust in a food processor and blend until finely chopped and a sticky dough is formed.
- Line an 8 x 4-inch pan with parchment paper. Spread the dough and press it evenly to the bottom of the pan.
- Now put all ingredients for the filling in the food processor and blend until smooth.
- Spread the pumpkin mixture over the crust and smooth the surface.
- Sprinkle some ground cashew nuts and chia seeds on top. Enjoy!
- When I use pitted dates and they are a little bit drier, I soak them in warm water for 10 mins. Thus they become softer and easier to chop. Also, the mixture becomes smoother as the walnuts and dates are better combined.
- I steamed some pumpkin earlier in the day and used it for the pumpkin pie. But you can also boil it.