Super tasty and easy Bulgur and Spinach recipe!
Highly nutritious bulgur mixed with spinach, onion, garlic, seasoned with various spices!
Superbly healthy, with only whole plant ingredients!
Definitely one quick and easy meal, that is ready in no time!
Serve it with a bowl of fresh salad and you will have a complete health-boosting lunch or dinner. This healthy Bulgur and Spinach Bake recipe combines perfectly with our Easy Garlic-Tahini Sauce.
Health benefits of eating bulgur
- Bulgur is a whole grain, meaning that all parts of the wheat kernel are preserved.
- It is rich in fiber that promotes digestion and stimulates the healthy bacteria in your guts.
- A good source of manganese, iron, and magnesium.
- It maintains lower insulin levels and a balanced blood sugar level.
- It helps with weight loss.
A Meal that Heals
Whole natural plant foods!
Instead, you get to eat bulgur as main source of calories. Since it is an unprocessed, whole grain, bulgur is rich in healthy complex carbs that help you stay healthy and lose weight.
Spinach is a known health food, rich in iron, calcium, vitamin C, K, B6, B9, E, magnesium, potassium, antioxidants…
Garlic and onion are also nutritional powerhouses, rich in antioxidants and disease-fighting organosulfur compounds. Antioxidants are basically detoxifiers. They reduce oxidative stress resulting from pollution, toxins as well as your metabolism.
If you are worried about your protein, whole plant-based foods meet all your needs. Pumpkin seeds, for example, are super-rich in protein as well as magnesium, zinc and healthy fats.
You will also get a healthy dose of Omega-3 fats from flax seeds. Flax is also abundant in lignans, powerful anticancer and immune system boosting compounds.
To further boost the taste and the micronutrient content of this dish, we added oregano, basil, and cumin. Micronutrients are essential for great health and they also reduce the hunger drive so you can stay slim and healthy.
How to prepare Healthy Bulgur and Spinach Bake
The one thing I love about bulgur is that it is super quick and easy to prepare.
Just put it in a pot with boiling water and it is ready for about 12-15 mins. I prefer to boil the water in advance until I prepare the other products for the meal. I use my electric kettle and find it very useful! Even if you have put more water don’t worry, the bulgur soaks it when you let it covered for several minutes after it is cooked.
To chop the spinach I use my favorite kitchen appliance – the food processor. It saves me a lot of time, especially when you have to chop vegetables. Just place the onion, spinach, garlic, and pumpkin seeds and pulse for several minutes. I like the smooth green mixture that forms.
I don’t cook the veggies in advance. This way more nutrients are preserved in them, which is my main goal in cooking.
Now mix the smooth green mixture with the bulgur and enjoy how it turns green. I love it! Season with the spices and put in the oven.
More Spinach Recipe Ideas
If you have tried this Easy & Healthy Bulgur and Spinach Recipe, you can also check some other healthy ideas.
If you give this Easy & Healthy Bulgur and Spinach Bake a try, I’d love a comment and recipe rating below. You can snap a picture and don’t forget to tag me in your Instagram or Facebook post with @wellnessdove and #wellnessdove, I would love to see your remakes!
- Preheat the oven to 200°C ( 400°F).
- Place the water and bulgur in a pot. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 12-15 mins. When it is ready, remove from the heat and cover with a lid for about 10 mins until it soaks its water completely.
- Meanwhile, put the spinach, onion, garlic, and pumpkin seeds in a food processor and blend until finely chopped. (Add a little water to go easily).
- In a large bowl mix the cooked bulgur and spinach mixture. Season with the spices (oregano, basil, cumin, salt, black pepper). Fold in the ground flax seeds and stir everything until well combined.
- Transfer in a baking pan and flatten the surface. Bake for about 15 mins.
- Serve with our Easy Garlic-Tahini Sauce. Enjoy!
- You may need to add a small amount of water in the food processor to go easily.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 292Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 424mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 16gSugar: 3gProtein: 14g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.