This hearty vegan Chickpea Meatloaf is wonderfully flavored and easy to make for the whole family to enjoy. It is gluten-free, oil-free, and made with simple pantry ingredients. It’s a perfect satisfying vegan main dish that can be made ahead.
This flavor-packed chickpea meatloaf is loaded with healthy plant protein and is quite filling. It makes a great healthy holiday or family main meal. And the best part is that it can be made in advance.
- Dietary – vegan, whole food, oil-free, gluten-free, nut-free, grain-free
- Packed with protein and fiber
- Uses simple pantry ingredients
- This is a WFPB recipe
- Easy to make
- Holds well together
- Great for family meals or special occasions
- Can be prepared in advance
- A perfect holiday centerpiece
Simple Whole Food Ingredients
This chickpea loaf tastes pretty good. It’s easy to prepare with simple ingredients you probably already have on hand. Here’s what you’ll need:
- chickpeas – you’ll need 3 cups cooked chickpeas, canned or cooked from scratch both work, just drain them well.
- veggies – I used carrot, onion, and garlic, finely chopped
- chickpea flour – it keeps the loaf gluten-free and holds everything together
- ground flax seeds – be sure it’s freshly ground
- seasonings – you’ll need tomato paste, mustard, apple cider vinegar, and soy sauce – all of them combined provide a great taste. Use gluten-free tamari if necessary.
- herbs & spices – I used nutritional yeast, paprika, cumin, and thyme to extend the flavor even more
- glaze – I used organic ketchup, it gives a tangy and flavorful taste to the loaf
For the full ingredients list, measurements, and instructions, please find the recipe card below.
Healthy Whole Food Chickpea Meatloaf
This is one meatless vegan chickpea loaf that is packed with flavor and is not missing anything!
It is a healthy vegan holiday roast alternative with a base of delicious hearty chickpeas. Not only is it healthy but it’s also loaded with plant-based protein and doesn’t contain a single harmful cholesterol.
This is a WFPB chickpea meatloaf recipe that is high in fiber. It is very nutritious and filling. It’s also completely free of oil and gluten.
Chickpeas are brimming with vitamins and minerals, such as choline, folate, magnesium, and vitamins A, E, and C. They are also a source of complete plant protein containing all the essential amino acids you need.
This chickpea meatloaf has great texture, flavor and is so satisfying. It is a perfectly healthy main meal for you and your family.
This Vegan Chickpea Meatloaf is
- vegan (dairy-free, egg-free)
- whole food
- easy to make
- packed with flavor
- satisfying and filling
- a family favorite!
- perfect for holidays or family gatherings
How to Serve
This chickpea meatloaf pairs great a variety of sides and meals. Here are some ideas:
- Enjoy it with a creamy sauce – like my favorite Universal Cashew Sauce, or this nut-free Creamy Vegan Garlic Sauce, or this Sunflower Seeds Sauce, or just more ketchup.
- Pairs perfectly with a fresh salad – like this Avocado Quinoa Salad, Cucumber Carrot Salad, or this juicy Mediterranean Salad.
- Serve with sides – try these Roasted Herbed Potatoes, Baked Zucchini Sticks, or Roasted Zucchini, or mashed potatoes.
- Steamed Veggies – carrots, asparagus, potatoes, beets, green beans
- Enjoy it with this Easy Broccoli & Sweet Potato Casserole.
- Leftovers can be enjoyed cold on sandwiches and wraps.
How to Store
Fridge: Cooked loaf stores well in the fridge in a sealed container for up to 5 days.
Freezer: To keep longer, it can be frozen whole or in slices in a freezer-safe bag or container for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge.
Reheat: Reheat in the oven or microwave until heated to your preference.
Make ahead: Loaf can be prepared up to 1 day in advance and stored in the fridge uncooked. When ready bake according to instructions.
More Healthy Main Meals
- Red Lentils Peanut Butter Casserole
- Creamy Coconut Lentil Curry
- Zucchini and Spinach Bean Casserole
- Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese
- Easy Bean Tofu Scramble
- Lentil Meatballs in Tomato Sauce
If you try this Vegan Chickpea Meatloaf, please let me know! Leave a comment and ★★★★★ recipe rating below. I would love to see your remakes and hear what you think.
Vegan Chickpea Meatloaf
This hearty vegan Chickpea Meatloaf is wonderfully flavored, easy to make for the whole family to enjoy. It is gluten-free, oil-free and made with simple pantry ingredients. It's a perfect satisfying vegan main dish that can be made ahead.
- 3 cups (450 g) cooked chickpeas, drained
- 1 large carrot or 2 small ones, diced (approx. 230 g)
- 1 (130 g) large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- ½ cup (55 g) chickpea flour
- ¼ cup (25 g) ground flax seed
- ½ tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp (35 g) tomato paste
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt
For the Glaze
- ⅓ cup (85 g) organic ketchup
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Put the chopped carrot, onion, and garlic in a pot with a half cup of water (120 ml). Cook over medium heat for about 5-7 mins or until tender.
- Meanwhile, put 3/4 of the chickpeas into a food processor and pulse until roughly chopped. You can also mash them with a fork or potato masher. This will help hold the meatloaf together.
- In a large bowl, combine all the chickpeas, cooked veggies, and all the other ingredients. Stir everything well with a spoon until well mixed.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper so it sticks out over the long edges of the pan. This will allow you to lift the loaf out once done. My loaf pan is wider on top and measures about 23 x 12 cm/ 9" x 5" on the top and 20 x 9 cm/ 8" x 3.5" at the bottom.
- Firmly press the chickpea mixture into the pan using the back of a spoon.
- Bake for about 35 mins. Take it out of the oven and evenly spread the glaze on top. Return to the oven and bake for another 10 mins.
- Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for at least 10 mins before slicing. The longer it sits, the firmer it gets. If you slice it too soon, it may be a little moist. Enjoy!
- Serve sprinkled with fresh chopped parsley, if desired.
- To take it out easily run a knife along the edges of the pan that weren't lined with parchment paper. Then, lift the loaf out of the pan and place it on a cooling rack for about 15 mins before slicing.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 Piece
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 138Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 6gSugar: 6gProtein: 7g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.