This Broccoli Sweet Potato Casserole is a heavenly blend of sweet and sour flavors. It’s a wholesome and easy-to-make dish that is oil-free, vegan, and is ready in less than 30 minutes!😋
This Broccoli Sweet Potato Vegan Casserole is so creamy and satiating that it will surely become a new favorite in your home! It’s topped with a delicious savory dried tomato sauce and makes the perfect healthy meal or side dish. The sweet potatoes and sun-dried tomato sauce provide the perfect balance of flavors, making every bite taste divine.
- Dietary – whole food, vegan, oil-free, grain-free, gluten-free, nut-free
- Nutritional features – high in fiber and healthy complex carbs
- Quick and easy to make with simple ingredients
- Ready in less than 30 mins
- Makes a delicious side dish or main meal
- A perfect blend of sweet and sour flavors
- Can be prepared in advance
Whole Food Ingredients
This easy broccoli sweet potato casserole is made with 8 simple whole food ingredients. It can be enjoyed as a delicious side dish or a main meal.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- sweet potatoes – you will need 2 medium sized sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- broccoli – I used fresh broccoli, chopped into small florets
- sunflower seeds – use plain raw sunflower seeds, unsalted
- sun-dried tomatoes – use naturally dehydrated sun-dried tomatoes, dry packed, not in oil
- lemon – you’ll need half lemon, juiced
- garlic – fresh garlic adds a great flavor
- spices – you’ll need cumin, basil, and salt
For the full ingredients list, measurements, and instructions, please find the recipe card below.
Why Make This Broccoli Sweet Potato Casserole
I am absolutely obsessed with casseroles and recently made a vegan Broccoli Sweet Potato Casserole topped with a scrumptious sun-dried tomato sauce. This dish is completely plant-based and dairy-free, and I used raw sunflower seeds to make the sauce instead of cream to reduce the fat and calorie content.
Not only is this casserole recipe quick and easy to prepare in just a few simple steps, but it is also ready in under 30 minutes. This makes it a convenient and satisfying meal that will keep you full for longer. Plus, the sweet potatoes and broccoli in this dish provide a great source of fiber, minerals, and vitamins.
Overall, this vegan Broccoli Sweet Potato Casserole is a delicious and healthy meal that I highly recommend giving a try.
This Broccoli Sweet Potato Casserole is
- vegan (dairy-free, egg-free)
- whole food
- quick and easy
- ready in less than 30 mins
- made with 8 simple ingredients
- a perfect delicious blend of flavors!
How to Store
Fridge: Cover and store the baked casserole in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven or microwave until heated through.
Freeze: Let cool completely then freeze in an air-tight container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge then reheat in the oven or microwave.
Make ahead: You can cook the sweet potatoes in advance, prepare the broccoli florets. and keep them in the fridge. You can also combine the ingredients for the sauce in a bowl and then when you are ready, whip up the sauce and bake the casserole.
More Healthy cASSEROLE RECIPES
- Zucchini and Spinach Bean Casserole
- Red Lentils Peanut Butter Casserole
- Healthy Bean and Leek Casserole
- Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese
- Oriental Oven Baked Chickpeas
- Baked Cabbage and Bean Casserole
- Curried Sweet Potato Beans
If you try this Broccoli Sweet Potato Casserole, please let me know! Leave a comment and ★★★★★ recipe rating below. I would love to see your remakes and hear what you think.
- 2 (770 g/27 oz) medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2½ cups (140 g/5 oz) small broccoli florets
For the sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Chop the sweet potatoes into small cubes. Place them in a pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer for about 8 mins. Once they are cooked, drain them well.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. Put all ingredients for the sauce in a blender. Blend for several minutes until smooth.
- After that, place the cooked sweet potatoes in a casserole dish (mine measures 28 x 21cm/ 11" x 8"). Spread the broccoli florets on top and pour the sauce over them. You can spread the sauce easily with a spoon.
- Bake for 15 mins. Sprinkle some chopped green onions on top and enjoy!