A delicious vegan pie that is worth the effort!
It is as healthy as it tastes great since only whole plant foods are used.
There is a feeling of freshness from the healthy green onions and spinach/rumex.
Also, gluten-free, made with rice paper wrappers.
Really satiating because of the combination of rice and tofu.
The sesame and poppy seeds add a finishing touch to the meal by enriching it with beneficial Omega-3 fatty acids.
Taste well hor or cold.
Makes a great breakfast, a to-go lunch or even dinner.
You can also use it as an afternoon snack.
For Great Health and Weight
Only whole plant foods are used in this recipe so this pie is superb for optimal health and weight.
Without any oils or animal products to protect you from disease and keep you trim and healthy.
The tofu gives a feeling of satiation as it is a complete source of healthy dietary protein, containing all the essential amino acids.
At the same time, it is low in calories and there is no cholesterol in it. Tofu is also rich in isoflavones, which may help prevent certain kinds of cancers, heart disease, and osteoporosis.
Spinach, like all green vegetables, is rich in micronutrients which are essential to all body functions.
The used seasoning garlic, savory, oregano boost the antioxidant level of this delicious green pie.
The sesame and poppy seeds contain those important anti-inflammatory Omega- 3s, that also protect the brain.
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Yield: 2-3 servings
- ½ pack large rice paper wrappers
- 1 package (200 gr) soft tofu with basil, shredded
- 1 bunch of green onions, chopped
- 4-5 handfuls of rumex or spinach, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 tsp ground savory
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt to taste
- sesame seeds
- poppy seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Put the chopped green onions, rumex/spinach, onion, and garlic in a pot with ¼ cup of water. Add the seasoning (savory, oregano, and salt) and cook for 10 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Fold the shredded tofu into the pot and mix everything well. Cook for another 5 mins. Now the filling is ready.
- Spray a round baking sheet with oil or line with parchment paper.
- Fill a large bowl with water, take one rice paper and soak it for 5 seconds or until slightly soft.
- Place it on your working surface. Take about two and a half tablespoons of the filling and spread it evenly on half of the sheet.
- Roll lengthwise. Then place it in the center of the baking sheet by folding it into a circle.
- Repeat this until the filling mixture is over, placing every roll by sticking it to the edge of the previous one until the circle is fully formed.
- Sprinkle with sesame and poppy seeds.
- Bake for 20 mins.
- As soon as the pie is ready, cover it with a slightly wet towel. Let it cool for a while.
- It is important to soak the rice paper wrappers one by one, so they don`t stick together.
- Soak them for several seconds until slightly softened, but still stiff or they are likely to tear when you try to roll them.