Healthful and tasty bean and lentil soup!
Prepared without any oil, this is a 100% whole plant food dish.
Beans and lentils are an excellent source of healthy carbs, fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
Cumin and coriander fill the room with an enticing aroma. You can`t wait to try it.
Serve it as a soup or combine it with cooked rice or quinoa and you have a wonderful main dish.
For Optimal Weight & Health
This is a filling soup made from only whole plant foods to keep you trim and healthy.
Beans and lentils, like all legumes, are full of protein, resistant starch and are a great source of calcium, iron, phosphorus and B vitamins.
They are slow to digest which keeps you full for longer and stops you from overeating.
Cooked tomatoes are a rich source of lycopene, one of the most powerful antioxidants.
Garlic, cumin, coriander, and parsley further add to the antioxidant punch of this soup.
The ground flax seeds make sure you also get plenty of Omega-3s.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Yield: 3-4 servings
- 3 cups cooked beans
- 1 cup lentils, soaked
- 1 potato, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tbsp paprika
- ¼ tsp ground chili peppers
- salt to taste
- 3 tbsp ground flax seeds
- ½ bunch of parsley, chopped
- Soak the lentils overnight.
- Place the onion, red bell pepper, garlic, tomatoes, and seasoning (cumin, coriander, paprika, chili peppers, and salt) in a pot, add about ½ cup of water and cook for 5 mins.
- Fold in the lentils and chopped potato. Add more water to cover them and cook for another 20 mins.
- When almost ready, add the cooked beans into the pot and stir everything well.
- Finally, add the ground flax seeds and lemon juice into the meal and stir.
- For a creamier texture, you can take part of the potatoes out, mash them and bring them back to the pot.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.
- You can garnish the Bean and Lentil Soup with cooked rice or quinoa and serve as a main dish.
- If you use dry beans, soak 1½ cups overnight and then boil them in plenty of water until soft. To reduce the potential stomach bloating, you may change the water after 15 minutes of boiling.