This chickpea curry is so creamy and rich, perfectly seasoned, and full of flavor! It is also easy to make with simple staple ingredients. This is one comforting and satiating meal.
This is a plant-based recipe (no eggs, dairy-free) with whole food plant ingredients. A healthy vegan meal that is free of oil and naturally gluten-free.
It is packed with healthy plant protein, satiating complex carbs, essential fats, and fiber.
It is perfectly seasoned with curry powder, thyme, nutmeg, cumin, paprika to create this rich texture and flavor. I encourage you to use all of them as they really make the dish!
This healthy Chickpea Curry makes a perfect healthy lunch or dinner.
Enjoy it with cooked buckwheat, rice, even red lentils.
Leftovers keep well in the fridge for the next few days.
Optimized for Great Health and Weight
Only whole natural plant foods are used in this recipe to keep you lean and healthy.
Chickpeas contain a high amount of fiber, that is beneficial to your health in a variety of ways, like a balanced blood sugar level as well as blood pressure. They maintain the good microbiota in your gut.
Together with chickpeas, buckwheat is full of healthy plant proteins and slowly digestible complex carbohydrates.
This way you feel full for longer and do not overeat or get tempted by unhealthy snack foods afterward.
The curry powder, thyme, nutmeg, cumin, and parsley are super high in antioxidants that fight inflammation and aging.
You also get a lot of lignans and super important Omega 3 fats from the ground flax seeds for healthy brain and body.
The onion and garlic contain organosulfurs and flavonoids that prevent disease, reduce inflammation, and help you maintain a healthy weight.
How to prepare this Creamy Vegan Chickpea Curry?
For the full recipe, measurements, and instructions please find the recipe card below.
If you use cooked chickpeas, this recipe is really quick and easy to make. It has 5 simple steps.
Step 1: (Optional) If you use dry chickpeas, soak them overnight. Put them in a pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Cook for about 40 mins or until soft.
(Skip this step if you use canned/cooked chickpeas.)
Step 2: Place the chopped veggies in a pot and cover with water. Fold in the pressed garlic and the seasoning (except the flax seeds and parsley). Boil for about 20 mins.
Step 3: Add the cooked chickpeas to the pot. Stir everything well and cook for another 10 mins.
Step 4: Put the raw cashews and water in a blender for several minutes until creamy. Then, add it to the pot together with ground flax seeds. Stir well.
Step 5: For the garnish, boil the buckwheat in 2 cups of water for about 15 mins.
Enjoy this chickpea curry with boiled buckwheat or rice!
- You can use canned chickpeas or you can cook your own ones. I always prefer to boil my beans at home. It takes time but there will be no added chemicals like salt, sugar, or preservatives that are present in canned chickpeas. Just soak your dry chickpeas overnight. Then, rinse and boil in plenty of water until soft.
- I prefer a thicker and richer texture for this chickpea curry. However, you can adjust it according to your taste by adding more or less water/broth.
- For this recipe, I used cashew milk. If you don’t have cashews, coconut milk will do as well.
This Creamy Vegan Chickpea Curry is:
- Plant-based (vegan)
- Whole food
- Loaded with plant protein
- High in antioxidants
- Easy to make
- Creamy and rich
- So delicious
- A perfect vegan lunch or dinner
You may also like:
- Soft and Chewy White Bean Nuggets
- Curried Sweet Potato Beans
- Easy and Healthy Sunflower Seeds Soup
- Cauliflower Couscous Stew
- Easy & Healthy Spicy Cajun Balls
If you give this recipe a try, I’d love a comment and recipe rating below. You can snap a picture and don’t forget to tag me in your Instagram or Facebook post with @wellnessdove and #wellnessdove, I would love to see your remakes!
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas or 1¾ cup dry chickpeas
- 3 medium potatoes, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp paprika
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 3 tbsp ground flax seeds
- ¼ bunch of parsley
For the cashew milk:
- 75 gr (2½ oz) raw cashew nuts
- ¾ cup (180 ml) water
For the garnish:
- 1 cup dry buckwheat
- If you use dry chickpeas, soak them overnight (for 12 hours). Put them in a pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Cook for about 40 mins or until soft. (Skip this step if you use cooked chickpeas.)
- Place the chopped potatoes, carrots, onion, and tomatoes in a pot, cover with water. Fold in the pressed garlic and the seasoning (except flax seeds and parsley). Boil for about 20 mins.
- After that, add the cooked chickpeas to the pot. Stir everything well and cook for another 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, put the raw cashews and water in a blender for several minutes until creamy.
- Fold the cashew milk into the pot. Add the ground flax seeds and stir well.
- Boil the buckwheat in 2 cups of water for about 15 mins. Leave it for a few minutes until the water is soaked.
- Serve with cooked rice or buckwheat. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 543Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 196mgCarbohydrates: 87gFiber: 19gSugar: 13gProtein: 22g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.