Fantastic vegan Spicy Cajun Balls!
A plant-based recipe, made with only whole plant food ingredients.
Super healthy and delicious spicy balls made of chickpeas, sesame, and sunflower seeds, all that seasoned with one of my favorite scented Cajun spice mixes!
It goes well with almost everything, adding a red-colored note to any meal from roasted veggies, potatoes, stews and soups, dips and spreads.
Cajun seasoning is a perfect blend of different flavors and scents. The one I used combines lots of paprika, cumin, garlic powder, chili, cayenne, and oregano. Various other spices can also be added to the blend.
You have to try it, it is really amazing!
If you are not a fan of spicy food, you can reduce the amount of Cajun seasoning to your taste. Just try the mixture before shaping the balls.
A meal optimized for great health!
Well, it is a whole food, plant-based meal.
The main source of calories here are the chickpeas, rich in protein and healthy, complex carbohydrates. They release their energy slowly over time and you stay satiated for longer.
The same can be said about the walnuts, cashews, sesame and sunflower seeds that I used. They are all rich in healthy omega-3 fats. These healthy fats are bound to the fiber and are released slowly into the bloodstream. This way you use them for energy and not store them.
Chickpeas are also rich in resistant starch which is especially beneficial for maintaining a healthy microbiome and immune system.
I also used onions and garlic, rich in antioxidants and known powerful immune system boosters because of the organosulfur compound alliinase that they contain.
The cajun spice mix contains herbs such as cumin and oregano which are high in phytonutrients and antioxidants and antioxidants are one of the primary ways that the body detoxifies.
And to further feed the good bacteria in your gut (and to add a nice, nutty flavor), I used nutritional yeast, which also happens to contain all of the B vitamins!
How to prepare these Spicy Cajun Balls?
It really is one super easy recipe.
You need a food processor, one of my favorite kitchen appliances that always helps me a lot and saves so much time!
Water-sautè the chopped celery for several minutes until it is tender. Then add all ingredients for the balls, except the green onions, in the food processor and blend until well chopped.
Place the mixture in a large bowl and fold the chopped green onions in. I like to add them last as their fresh green color pops out very beautifully. Take about a tablespoon of the mixture, shape it into small balls and bake.
They can be combined perfectly with this flavorful nutty sauce. All you need to do is place the ingredients for the sauce in a blender for several minutes. Now your super tasty sauce is ready.
Dip the spicy cajun balls in it and enjoy your healthy meal!
Why the Spicy Cajun Balls are so beneficial for you?
- Whole food
- Without any harmful ingredients
- Rich in plant-based proteins
- Super nutritious
- A complete health dish for you and your family!
Want more healthy plant-based recipes?
If you want to stay in good shape and take better care for your loved ones, here are some healthy whole food recipe ideas from us:
- Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Pasta
- Oriental Whole Wheat Nuggets
- Healthy Bean & Leek Casserole
- Curry Veggies with Lentil Puree
- Easy Tofu Scramble with Roasted Peppers
For the Cajun Balls
- 5 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 ½ tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 3 tbsp ground sesame seeds
- 3 tbsp ground sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour
- 1½ cup of water
- salt to taste
For the sauce
- 2 oz (60 g) raw walnuts
- 2 oz (60 g) raw cashews
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp dried onion
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- salt to taste
- 1½ cup of water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Place the chopped celery stalk in a saucepan with a small amount of water and cook covered until tender or about 5 mins.
- Then place all ingredients for the Cajun balls, except the green onions, in a food processor and blend until finely chopped.
- Add the chopped onions and mix everything well in a bowl.
- Take a tablespoon of the mixture and shape it into small balls.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the balls on it.
- Bake for 20 mins.
- Meanwhile, blend all ingredients for the sauce in a high-powered blender until smooth.
- Serve the Spicy Cajun Balls with the flavorful nutty sauce and enjoy!