This is one deliciously creamy quinoa breakfast bowl that will help you start your day in the healthiest way possible. It’s so easy to make, filling and will keep you energized all day long.
This vegan breakfast bowl is truly healthy, whole-food, plant-based, gluten-free, oil-free and has no added sugar. It is easy to make and a great way to use leftover quinoa.
Top it with fresh strawberries and enjoy the amazing chocolate strawberry combo. Serve it as a quick and filling breakfast or you can also enjoy it as a cooled fresh dessert.
Simple Whole food Ingredients
You need only 6 simple ingredients for this healthy quinoa breakfast bowl. It is gluten-free, naturally sweetened with fruit, packed with protein and really easy to make. Here is what you need:
- quinoa – I used white quinoa, other varieties are also fine
- dairy-free milk – any plant milk works. I usually use soy or almond milk.
- banana – use a large ripe banana that is easy to mash. It adds natural sweetness and makes it more creamy.
- cacao powder – use raw cacao powder. It has a rich chocolate taste and aroma, like real chocolate but much healthier and whole food.
- walnuts – use plain raw walnuts for that healthy Omega-3s
- strawberries – use fresh strawberries. They are essential for freshness and pair perfectly with the cacao powder.
For the full ingredients list, measurements, and instructions, please find the recipe card below.
What Makes This Vegan Breakfast Bowl so Healthy
This recipe is completely whole food, plant-based and made only with healthy natural ingredients.
It’s not only free from anything artificial and refined but I also wanted it to be a complete, balanced meal.
- Quinoa has all the essential amino acids (proteins) and it’s rich in magnesium, potassium, iron, and folate. It’s high in healthy complex carbs and fiber that provide sustained energy and reduce cravings.
- Walnuts are one of the best whole food sources of Omega-3 fats, which are crucial for good brain and heart functions while having strong anti-inflammatory properties. Walnuts are known to reduce bad cholesterol and blood pressure.
- Strawberries are antioxidant, vitamin and micronutrient powerhouses that help your body remove toxins, fight oxidative stress and build healthy tissues.
- Raw cacao powder is a whole food compared to regular cocoa, rich in antioxidants, and healthy fats. It makes your breakfast taste delicious and chocolatey without any sugar or oil.
- You can use any dairy-free milk – soy, oat, almond milk, etc. Usually, I use whatever I have in the fridge.
- You can cook the quinoa in advance and then have this delicious strawberry breakfast ready in just a few mins.
- If you don’t find it sweet enough you can always add a teaspoon of your favorite liquid sweetener (agave, date or maple syrup, honey). I don’t usually sweeten my breakfast quinoa bowl.
- I prefer to eat the quinoa breakfast bowl cold as I cook a big batch of plain quinoa for the week to use in salads, bowls or other meals. In this case, I store it in the fridge and then put it together very quickly. I often enjoy it even for a dessert during the day.
This Healthy Quinoa Breakfast Bowl is
- whole food
- plant-based (vegan)
- naturally sweetened
- loaded with protein
- high in fiber and micronutrients
- easy to make and so delicious
How to store
This healthy quinoa breakfast can be stored in the fridge in a sealed container or a jar for up to 3 days.
I prefer it straight from the fridge, especially during the warm months. It can be quite a refreshing and energizing breakfast or dessert.
More Healthy Breakfast Recipes
- Healthy Chocolate Overnight Oats
- Quick and Healthy Energy Breakfast
- Easy and Healthy Purple Oatmeal
- Avocado Chickpea Sandwich
- Whole Wheat Vegan Crepes
- Sweet Potato Quinoa Burger
If you give this Healthy Quinoa Breakfast Bowl a try, I’d love a comment and recipe rating below. Make sure to share a photo with us on Instagram or Facebook by tagging @wellnessdove. I would love to see your remakes!
Healthy Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
This is one deliciously creamy quinoa breakfast bowl that will help you start your day in the healthiest way possible. It's so easy to make, fresh and truly satisfying. This bowl is gluten-free, vegan, oil-free and has no added sugar. It is easy to make and a great way to use leftover quinoa.
- ¼ cup (50 g) dry quinoa or 1 heaping cup (130 g) cooked quinoa
- 1 (135 g) large banana
- ¼ cup (60 ml) dairy-free milk (soy, oat, almond milk, etc.)
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tbsp chopped raw walnuts
- 115 g/ 4 oz chopped strawberries
- Place the quinoa in a saucepan with half a cup (120 ml) of water and bring to a boil. Once it starts boiling, cover with a lid, reduce the heat and let simmer for 12 mins. When it is ready, let it cool for a while.
- Then, in a medium bowl mash the banana using a fork. Add the cooked quinoa, plant milk, cacao powder, chopped walnuts, and strawberries to the bowl and mix everything together.
- Serve it warm or put it in the fridge to cool. Enjoy!
- You can use any dairy-free milk - soy, oat, almond milk, etc.
- You can cook the quinoa in advance and then have this delicious strawberry breakfast ready for just 5 mins.
- If you don't find it sweet enough you can always add a teaspoon of your favorite liquid sweetener (agave, date or maple syrup, honey).