This easy vegan potato salad is a wholesome twist on the classic, mayo-free, and exceptionally creamy. This crowd-pleasing favorite is a reliable and easily customizable recipe that can be prepared in less than 30 minutes!
If you’re looking for a side dish to bring to picnics, potlucks, or BBQs, this is the ideal quick and hassle-free option that’s sure to satisfy any crowd.
What’s more, it’s dairy-free, so you can leave it out worry-free. And the best part? It’s a fantastic choice year-round, whether it’s summer, spring, fall, or winter!
- Dietary – vegan, whole food, oil-free, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free
- Simple everyday ingredients
- No-mayo potato salad
- Healthy & low-fat
- Filling & comforting
- Creamy and delicious
- Can be made ahead
- Great for picnics, potlucks & BBQs
This family favorite easy vegan potato salad features a handful of basic ingredients and a wonderfully creamy dressing that truly stands out as the best!
Here’s everything you’ll need:
- potatoes – use waxy, thin-skinned yellow or red potatoes like Yukon gold or small red potatoes. They hold their shape well after cooking and won’t become mushy.
- beans – I used canned red kidney beans, black beans will also work
- pickles – I used dill pickles but any kind of pickles works
- red onion – you can also use white or yellow onion
- parsley – use fresh chopped parsley
- cashews – use plain raw cashews without any additives like salt or oil
- spices – you’ll need turmeric, cumin, nutritional yeast, and salt for the dressing
For the full ingredients list, measurements, and instructions, please find the recipe card below.
How to Make Creamy Vegan Potato Salad
Step 1: Steam the potatoes – Add about 1-2 inches of water to the bottom of a large pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling reduce the heat slightly. Put the chopped potatoes in the steamer basket and cook covered for about 15 mins until fork tender.
Step 2: Make the dressing – Meanwhile, put all ingredients for the dressing in a blender. Blend until creamy.
Step 3: Assemble the potato salad – In a large bowl, combine the steamed potatoes, beans, chopped pickles, red onion, and parsley. Pour the dressing over the salad, give it a toss and enjoy!
And with that, you’re ready to enjoy this delightful salad recipe. It’s a wholesome, highly adaptable, uncomplicated, and incredibly tasty choice!
- Avoid overcooking the potatoes – they should be cooked until tender and slightly firm. Excessive cooking will lead to mushy potatoes that fall apart when mixed.
- Making ahead – You can prepare the salad the night before, but remember that the dressing tends to get absorbed as the potato salad chills in the fridge. So, if you desire an exceptionally creamy consistency, consider setting aside a portion of the dressing to gently mix in just before serving.
- Other add-ins to try – consider adding chopped celery, cucumber, colored bell pepper, olives, or radish for extra flavor and freshness.
How to Store
This creamy vegan potato salad can be served either warm or chilled.
Fridge: Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
Make ahead: This potato salad is great for meal prep. The whole salad can be assembled a day ahead and stored in the fridge. However, to keep the creaminess of the salad I’d recommend prepping the salad ingredients and the dressing in separate sealed containers. Then, assemble the salad in no time right before serving.
More Healthy Potato Recipes
If you try this Creamy Vegan Potato Salad, please let me know! Leave a comment and ★★★★★ recipe rating below. I would love to see your remakes and hear what you think.
For the potato salad
- 2 lbs (900 g) red or yellow potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup (150 g) red kidney beans
- 1 cup (130 g) dill pickles, chopped
- ½ red onion, sliced
- ⅓ cup chopped parsley
For the dressing
- Add about 1-2 inches of water to the bottom of a large pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling reduce the heat slightly. Put the chopped potatoes in the steamer basket and cook covered for about 15 mins until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, put all ingredients for the dressing in a blender. Blend until creamy.
- In a large bowl, combine the steamed potatoes, beans, chopped pickles, red onion, and parsley. Pour the dressing over the salad, give it a toss and enjoy!
- You can also boil the potatoes until fork tender and then drain them.
- If you love it extra creamy, maybe you may need to make more of the delicious dressing.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1 Portion
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 292Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 235mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 8gSugar: 4gProtein: 11g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
IF YOU ARE USING PINTEREST, FEEL FREE TO PIN THIS PHOTO: